Review the slides that list of competencies required of to act strategically from this week’s ppt. Describe a scenario from work or life where you had to do the following:
1.- Act decisively in the face of uncertainty
2.- Foster agility
3.- Create alignment by setting clear strategic priorities
Describe each scenario, how and why you used this skill, and the outcome.
Strategic Acting Steps • Set clear priorities.
• Create conditions for others to excel.
• Teach others to think about strategy.
• Act decisively in the face of a volatile, uncertain,
complex and/or ambiguous (VUCA) environment.
• Act with both the short-term and the long-term in
• Exercise courage and confidence in your decision
Act decisively in the face of uncertainty
Create alignment by setting clear strategic priorities
Only some actions are strategic
Both short-term and long-term
An opportunity for learning
Always involve uncertainty
Source: Hughes (2014) pg. 123
Strategic Acting Competencies
Acting decisively in the face of uncertainty
• Changing conditions make it difficult to
assess risk reward
• Uncertainty: defining and quantification of
the risk. Chaotic contexts often require
decisive action to mitigate damage
Risk and Reward Assessment
• Safe: risk and reward are
proportional and low (=low)
• Gamble: risk and reward are both
proportional and high (=high)
• Intelligent/Positive: positive risk-
reward balance, higher return can
be achieved with limited risk
• Avoid/Negative: negative risk
reward balance, low return is the
reward for taking a relatively high
Risk Severity= (probability of risk occurring) x (impact of risk)
Foster Agility • The ability to react quickly to change by…
• Quickly sensing threats, problems and opportunities
• Rapidly responding with solutions that address
business and customer needs
• Efficiently changing processes and responsibilities
• …to realize business and customer outcomes
• Agile processes – processes that are constantly reviewed
and changed based on cycle of design, deliver, evaluate
Inability to change
Ability to change
Inability to sense Ability to sense
the ability to think
fast and to take
If the organization
free decisions and
Creating alignment by setting
clear strategic priorities… • Understanding the value of risks, potential
outcomes, and demonstrating the ability to
adjust based on assumptions and actual
experience is an essential action competency
Tools: Clear Priorities
After Action Review
• A discussion of an event that focuses on
identifying what happened, why it
happened and ways to improve.
• Developed initially in military
• “in our business we don’t always get a second
chance to learn” – Major R. Kennedy, US Army
• Now used in hospitals, business, etc…..
After Action Review • Plan…
• What did we intend to do?
• What actually happened?
• What can we learn?
• What should we do next time?
• What should we do now?
• Adjust based on AAR