Current Issues In Globalization And Tourism/Hospitality Management
Overview of the assignment:
The outcome of this assignment is an academic paper.
This course focuses on a range of interrelationships between globalization and tourism/hospitality. This assignment provides you with an opportunity to explore a specific topic or issue related to the context of this course. You are encouraged to choose a topic of personal interest. This academic paper should synthesize what the literature (research material) has to say about your topic. This is an analysis, not a summary, of a particular issue or topic, and therefore an introductory question is central to guiding this paper. Your question and preliminary direction will be proposed to the instructor after the completion of your annotated article review. The annotated review of three articles relevant to your topic would be a great first phase. You will begin this research process by participating in an online library research session (time tba). You will complete your annotated article review template. Once this is graded, and feedback is provided, you can continue your literature search on your topic. You may choose an entirely different topic than what you chose for your annotated article review, although the process to tackle this assignment would be aided through the process of article annotation. Each paragraph should be based on findings in the literature. Critical thought on the topic should be included, presented in the third person, and be supported by evidence-based research. it is recommended that you use a minimum of 12 relevant references (with a minimum of six from academic articles).
- Choose a current global issue with implications beyond simply a region or even a single country.
- You will introduce this issue in the first paragraph including a brief description of the issue, what you will write about, and why this is an important topic for the tourism & hospitality industry. Do not include discussion or findings in the introduction.Save the findings for the main body of the paper.
- Provide background to the issue including why it occurred (is occurring), whether this is the first time for the issue or is this a recurring event, sudden issue or building over time, size and scope, main players involved, etc. Use evidence that you find in the literature (current and/or relevant references). Provide controversy or opposing viewpoints if relevant.
- Suggest you develop your topic using three or four key sub-themes and clearly define connections to tourism/hospitality. Use bold headings to separate the topics/themes. Weave your references into your themes. Every theme should be supported by at least 2 references.
- Discuss global implications such as who is impacted, what sorts of impacts (economic, environmental, socio-cultural, positive and negative), duration of impacts, strategies underway that mitigate negative impacts or accelerate positive impacts etc. Use bold headings to separate the topics. As this is a lot to cover in a short paper, your ability to be concise will be an asset.
- Explain lessons to be learned, or best practices or recommendation arising from this issue for the travel and hospitality industry. Although this requires some thought on your part, the response must still be in third person, and based on your findings as presented in the body of your paper. These recommendations come from the research you did.
- End your paper with a one paragraph conclusion that summarizes the main findings from your research on the topic. You may include gaps that were discovered if any, or areas for future research. Do not introduce new material in the conclusion.
More details will be provided in a recording on this assignment
Topics to think about.
Topics could include, but are not limited to, sustainable practices (be specific), the role of technology (be specific), the role of resilience or recovery after a specific crises. COVID-19 may be chosen although due to its recent and ongoing nature sufficient data might not be readily available. You may weave in articles that relate to past similar events to support your paper. Other topics include the use of e-commerce, the quest for authenticity, tourism as a force for peace, tourism as a force for poverty alleviation, advances in food security in tourism and hospitality, foreign ownership of tourism assets, cultural practices, indigenous tourism, emerging markets, dark tourism, emerging trends, political climate and unrest, disaster impacts and implications for management, capacity in tourism sites, the effects of terrorism in a region, best practices in cruise tourism (regional perspective suggested), managing heritage sites, the role of interpretation, enclavism, …
Length: approximately 2000 words (minimum 1800/maximum 2400 words).
Minimum 12 quality references (6 academic references to be included). Be sure to clearly source all of your information with proper APA referencing.