Assignment is based on Chapters 1, 2, 3, & 4 of the textbook. However, there are a couple questions that require you to apply previous knowledge and experience. Giving examples often help make clear your explanations. I encourage you to give experiences and examples where applicable (short answer questions)
1. A health care provider’s service or catchment area is most often the geographic area or region surrounding the service provider from which most of the consumers/patients are obtained.
1. Regulations about the privacy of medical records are examples of legislative/political external issues.
1. In designing a strategic plan, should an organization use prospective strategies or emergent strategies or a combination of both approaches? Explain your answer.
1. The fundamental nature of strategic management requires the awareness and understanding of outside forces and encourages strategic managers to:
|Understand the role of strategy in moving a healthcare organization to achieve its goals|
|Develop and maintain receptivity to new ways of doing things|
|Be aware of political and legislative factors that impact health policies, healthcare operations, and consumer health.|
|All of the above|
1. Name and briefly explain two changes in the population demographics within the catchment area of a healthcare organization that could force or influence the healthcare organization to implement strategic changes.
1. (a) Distinguish between horizontal and vertical expansion/integration strategies. Please give healthcare examples of each type of expansion. (2 Points)
(b) Identify two pros and two cons of these expansion strategies. (2 points)
1. Many of the management methods adopted by health care organizations originated in the business sector.
1. Healthcare organizations employ various growth strategies. Four of these strategies are ___________, ___________ ,______________ , and _________________ . Please do not use the terms vertical or horizontal integration.
1. Bonus Points Question. In healthcare organizations quality matters.
(a) In your own words briefly explain what you understand to be the difference between clinical quality and service quality.
(b) Why should health care managers address issues in either of these areas with urgency?
1. Organizations will find themselves out of touch with the needs of the market when they:
|Fail to anticipate change|
|Ignore external forces|
|Fail to respond to health care legislation|
|All of the above|
1. The following are all examples of internal expansion except:
|entering new markets with currently existing products|
|launching marketing efforts to increase market share|
|developing new products and services|
|Purchasing or in some other way procuring an existing business that the organization has been using for supplies or materials.|
1. Monopolies tend to be large organizations with limited product options; they tend to have working strategies to limit or keep out competitions from the market and are the organizations that can influence higher prices of services and commodities.
1. Which one of the following is not typically addressed by healthcare organizational strategy?
|how management intends to grow the business|
|How organization leadership handles external competition and collaboration as well as how the internal functional components or departments of the business relate and coordinate with each other|
|How resources will be allocated across programs and services|
|None of the above, all of these are addressed|
1. Even though business models may differ, the bottom line is that for both for-profit and not-for-profit healthcare organizations to survive, their direct and indirect income must exceed expenses over time.
1. Strategic management is a technique that will provide a “quick fix” for an organization that has fundamental problems.
1. Walston wrote “Political forces have a significant impact on healthcare (Walston, 2018, p. 10).” Briefly discuss two examples of how politics and political decisions/legislation impact planning and strategy for healthservice providers.