Article Critique Report
Sustainable business management
Assignment due dates and the examination period provided here apply to the Australian study period. These may be varied for students studying elsewhere, please confirm dates with your local tutor.
Assignment 1 Sustainability transformation report
Due: Friday of final week
Length: 3500 words (guideline only)
Weighting: 75% of total grade
Due day: 6-May-2016
Submission: MDIS students – Submit completed assignment through Turnitin.
Select an organisation with which you are familiar and write a report on how you would transform a clearly defined segment of the organisation into a sustainable business segment.
Do not select an organisation from the internet. You cannot collect the required information from company websites. Selection of an appropriate organisation and organisation segment and clear definition of the boundaries of your study is absolutely critical to successful performance in this assessment. You must have access to the organisation via employment, family connections, or you can select a local business with which you are familiar and which you can approach to request specific information to enable you to complete this assessment.
It is suggested that you select a small organisation or a small segment of a larger organisation, and discuss your selection with teaching staff in weeks 1 to 2 of the teaching session.
Do not select an organisation from the internet. You cannot collect the required information from company websites.
Part A Organisation and boundaries (10 marks)
1. Briefly describe the organisation including size, location, products and/or services provided, provide an overview of the relevant production and/or operating systems and explain your connection to this organisation. (2 marks)
2. Select a segment of the organisation which you will transform into a sustainable business segment. This segment may be a department of the business, or a functional entity within the business, or a product or service which the company provides, or (part of) the organisation’s production, operating or administrative system. (2 marks)
3. Clearly define the organisational segment which you will transform and clearly identify the boundaries of your segment. Note that every organisation requires human resources; staff facilities; cleaning; numerous administrative and managerial support services as well as purchasing, accounting and distribution services; capital equipment and premises from which they operate. Using an appropriate diagram, show your organisational segment and the key service and production functions which support the provision of the organisation’s product or service to customers. Which of these support functions are included and which are excluded from your sustainability transformation? Draw boundaries around your chosen business segment clearly showing these inclusions and exclusions from your study. (6 marks)
(Note that the business segment must be broad enough so that you have the opportunity to make 15 recommendations for transformation to sustainability in part C).
Part B Input-output chart (10 marks)
1. Prepare an input-output chart which identifies all major resource and energy inputs and pollution and production outputs at each separate stage in the production and distribution systems within your organisational segment. You are not required to include actual quantities of inputs and outputs. (6 marks)
2. Utilising your input-output chart identify the major causes of unsustainability with direct reference to specific inputs and outputs at critical stages along the production/operating/distribution cycle. (4 marks)
Part C Recommendations to improve sustainability performance (30 marks)
Provide 15 specific recommendations for transformation to sustainability in the following performance categories –
· Management of land and biodiversity on which business premises are located;
· Water management;
· Energy and carbon management;
· Supply chain and transport management;
· Waste, pollution and recycling management.
Many of these recommendations will apply the principles of eco-efficiency, dematerialisation and conservation of resources to reduce the unsustainability of the organisation’s operations.
You need to provide at least one recommendation in each of the 5 categories and a maximum of 4 recommendations in any one category. You do not need to estimate the cost of any of the recommendations, however if this information is readily available you may include it.
Recommendations must apply sustainable business principles, be specific, targeted at the unsustainable aspects of your chosen business and linked to the organisation’s industry sector and its specific products and services. Significant detail must be provided to demonstrate that each recommendation is viable for your business from a sustainability perspective, although you do not need to establish that the organisation has sufficient financial resources to implement your recommendations. (15 x 2 marks each)
Part D Product or process redesign to achieve long term sustainability (15 marks)
Drawing on the principles of cradle to cradle design, waste equals food, biomimicry and natural capitalism design a closed loop production system for your organisational segment, product or service to achieve sustainability in the long term. Where relevant you may draw on recommendations from part C. Describe existing barriers to becoming sustainable and identify appropriate new technology and behavioural change to overcome such barriers.
Part E Social impact of the organisation (10 marks)
Discuss the major social impacts which your organisation has and make recommendations how it can improve its social performance. Note that this social analysis can be focused at the organisational level. Your suggestions may remove existing negative social impacts and/or improve positive social impacts.
Note: Past reports prepared by students are provided in unit documents to illustrate the style and standard required for this assessment, but please note the assignment instructions have changed significantly from previous years.
Assignment 2 Organisational sustainability report
Due: Friday, week 8.
Length: 1200 words
Due day: 22-April-2016
Select a business, government or non-government organisation operating in Australia, the Pacific or Asia which is implementing specific projects to improve the sustainability of its operations. The projects must have strong environmental, social and economic objectives. One-dimensional economic or social projects are not suitable for this assignment. It is also not sufficient to select an organisation in the social welfare or sustainability sectors unless that organisation is implementing specific projects to improve the sustainability of its own operations.
1. Provide an overview of the organisation’s size, locations and main products or services including evidence and a description of its sustainability goals. (5 marks)
2. Identify the major causes of the organisation’s unsustainability over the life cycle of its main products and/or services. (5 marks)
3. Describe one sustainability project which has been implemented by the organisation including objectives, costs, implementation timeframe and specific environmental, social and/or economic elements of the project. (5 marks)
4. Identify actual and expected project outcomes. (5 marks)
5. How has the project contributed to removing causes of unsustainability identified in part 2 and has it been successful in doing so? (5 marks)
EACH STUDENT MUST SELECT A DIFFERENT ORGANISATION. You cannot select the same organisation used for assignment 1.
Submit your final report via Turnitin using the Assessment details field on the MySCU MNG10253 Blackboard unit site.
The five marking criteria listed below are used to grade your assessments in this unit. A rubric describing each of these criteria across the five levels of performance from ‘Pass’ to ‘High Distinction’ is provided in the MySCU unit site.
1. Depth of research.
2. Application of theory.
3. Analysis & interpretation of information.
4. Synthesis, problem solving & creativity.
5. Clarity of expression & grammar; accurate referencing.
This is the note for assignment 2:
Assignment 2 can do reseach a company on the internet and also 5 Qs divided into 3 part:
1. Brieftly introduction: question 1
2. Main report: question 2-3-4
3. Conclusion and recommendation: question 5
Note for assignment 1&2:
1. Please dont do research 1 company for both assignment. Each assignment must provide a different company.
2. Do a reseach specific a part or a (stage) in organization but not reseach the whole organization