5.1 Please Write A Devotional Reflection On Diversity
5.1 Discussion: Devotional Reflection-Diversity
Please Review the rubric for grading criteria.
Diversity is increasingly an important issue for businesses to consider. The combination of changing demographics and globalization is forcing every business to think about how management must change as the workforce and customer base becomes more diverse. To Christians, this should be no surprise as we are definitely told that the kingdom of God is diverse. Reflect on how diversity is a part of God’s plan and how scripture can better enable you to appreciate God’s creation through His diverse peoples.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Expand on your personal definition of diversity.
- Bible (New International Version)
We often think that the best way to create unity is to reduce diversity so that everyone looks and talks as much alike as possible. The Bible repeatedly discusses how we are all united under Christ but it does not declare we are all exactly the same. In fact, each of us is different. Look at Romans 12:4 where it says we are different parts of the body. If we were, all the same, the body would not work correctly. If we are not diverse, the capital C church will not work correctly. The tension between similarity and diversity needs to be carefully maintained for the church to be truly Christ’s body.
Read 1 Corinthians 12:12 (NIV): “The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So, it is with Christ.”
When we examine these verses, we can see how God uses our differences to help and support each other.
Finally, in Revelation 7:9-10 (NIV), we see a great heavenly perspective on diversity.
“After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: ‘Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.’”
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Take a moment to reread Romans 12:4, 1 Corinthians 12:12 and Revelation 7:9-10.
- Reflect and respond to the following prompts:
- Have you ever looked at the different parts of Christ’s church as a representation of diversity? Does it help you to recognize the importance of diversity (not only race but in areas like gender, disability, and culture) in the Church? How?
- What type of picture does Revelation 7:9-10 paint for you?
- Is there any way you can better create this picture of heaven right now in your life? How might that look? Will it be a stretch for you?